Tuesday, Aug 11th, 2009
Become a Duct Tape Marketing Coach in 2009 (last training this year)
Join the Duct Tape Marketing Coach Network and become part of a network of small business consultants and coaches across North America that are discovering the tremendous power behind the Duct Tape Marketing Brand, Tools, Programs and Systems.
Let our brand open doors and help you take your business to the next level. We are looking for marketing professionals with a passion to serve small business.
Live Discovery Webinar - Enroll for an upcoming session here - to learn about the opportunity.
back to top
Featured Resource - Favorites of the Week
In continuing with my series of quick social media tips I wrote two how to articles that you might find useful.
5 Ways to Make Me Want Your Advertisements
Like this article? Share it on twitter - hit the tweet button.
This article is a reprint from my column at AMEX OPEN Forum from Aug 6th, 2009
So, maybe you've heard, advertising doesn't work anymore. Or, at least thatâ€™s what many business owners have come to believe. While it's true there are some very attractive new ways to create awareness about your business, few things afford the total control that advertising does.
If you are having a sale, launching a new product, or just want to promote a service offering, you can target your audience and pinpoint the exact date with advertising. Turning the tap on at a specific time is a little tougher to do with other forms of lead generation such as PR or referrals.
Truth is, it has become much easier for prospects to tune advertising out. You've got tools like spam filters, no call lists, TiVo, and commercial free satellite radio all dreamed up to block out unwanted messages. The trick then to making your advertising effective is to find ways to make me want to read it and receive it.
Consider adding these elements to your ad strategy to increase effectiveness.
1. Donâ€™t Sell Me Anything â€“ I know, that seems a little odd, I mean an ad is supposed to sell, right? In today's hyper-information world of search, advertising has become a tremendous vehicle for creating awareness of your educational content. Whether it's an ad on Facebook or a direct mail piece teach me something, lead me to even more great stuff, let me know where your next free event is being held â€“ then I'll sell myself.
2. Drag Me In Fast â€“ No matter the medium, even a letter, grab me by the throat with a headline that I canâ€™t pass up. Maybe you think it's cheesy sounding, but you do read those tabloid headlines donâ€™t you, you canâ€™t resist. Thatâ€™s what you've got to do to get me interested and maybe even a little entertained.
3. Create Excitement â€“ Tell me a story or paint me a picture of how my life is going to be once I have all thatâ€™s possible through a relationship with you. Help me fantasize about results.
4. Put Some Lumps In It â€“ If you really want to get my attention send me a package. Itâ€™s so hard to ignore something with a lumpy shape, even a box. A package will almost always get past any gatekeepers and it certainly sends a message that I'm important. You can even get super creative with this. Send me a hula-hoop to announce your intention to jump through hoops to make me happy.
5. Tell Me What To Do Now â€“ It's funny how many ads leave you thinking, "that was nice," or worse yet, "what was that trying to tell me?" The recently deceased pitch man Billy May made a career out of his dynamic style, but he was also very good at leading you to the call to action and then making sure you not only knew what to you knew you better do it right now because it was in your best interest. Donâ€™t leave me guessing, Iâ€™m not very good at it!
Image credit: superbomba.
~ ~ ~
John Jantsch is a veteran marketing coach, award winning blogger and author of Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide.
He is the creator of the Duct Tape Marketing small business marketing system. You can find more information by visiting http://www.ducttapemarketing.com
You may reprint this article in its entirety if you attribute the article to John Jantsch and include the information about the author above.
back to top
ProBlogger - Darren Rowse and Chris Garrett
Author Darren Rowse walks the walks and his blog, ProBlogger is a must read if you want to learn all you can about blogging. And, definitely if you want to learn anything about making money with online publishing.
He twitter feed is a good source of info as well.
More info here
back to top
Old Crow Medicine Show - Tennessee Pusher
This band won't be for everyone as their bluegrass roots come through with a unique swing feel at times.
OCMS has got to be one of the busiest tour bands around right now. I've seen them on Prairie Home Companion, headlining at Telluride and even hitting a few state fairs. They are at their best live - this album features the hit (as big as a blue grass hit can get) Caroline. If you're looking for a signature Old Crow song to download though, go with Wagon Wheel.
More info here
back to top