The Most Highly Achievable Business Resolution of All
Look, it’s the last day of 2012 and you are likely either thinking about what you’re gonna do to make next year better or you’re sick of hearing people talk about what you should do to make next year better.
Either way, the notion of resolutions has surely occurred at some level. But, here’s the deal, and we all know this by now, resolutions are a sucker’s game. The minute most of us make a resolution to change something, we’ve actually cemented any chance of actually doing it somewhere deep into a place nobody wants to go.
Resolutions are made up of the stuff we kind of know we should do better, but have no real resolve to do – basically dooming ourselves to failure.
But there is a secret to success in the resolution business – aim lower. That’s right, lower your expectations to something highly achievable and you’ll never be disappointed again.
Here’s a list of highly achievable resolutions that I plan to adopt to get my new year started down the road to success. Feel free to steal any of these as you own.
- I will spell check the red underlined words in my emails before I hit send
- I will almost never Tweet while standing at a urinal
- I will not try to sneak a souvenir snow globe on an International flight
- I will never put a QR code on a highway billboard sign
- I will ignore friend requests from high school classmates (unless they have become reality TV stars)
- I will punch any form of communication with the word synergy in it in the face
- I will not eat any food that is served in an airport (French fries of course don’t count as they are served in other places too)
Hopefully, my mild attempt at humor will still allow me to make my real point.
Don’t make resolutions, change your game entirely.
Raise your expectations. Expect more from everything. Expect more from yourself. Expect more from and for others. Expect greater results for your customers, personal growth for your staff and even expect more positive interaction with the people and things you currently find difficult.
That’s the real secret to success – simply expect more of it every day. This is perhaps the most highly achievable resolution of all.
Happy New Year!