In answer to the question in the title of this post, chew on a few of these stats:
- 82% of local searchers follow up offline via an in-store visit, phone call or purchase (TMP/comScore)
- 74% of internet users perform local searches (Kelsey Group)
- 61% of local searches result in a purchase (Search Engine Watch)
- 59% of consumers use Google every month to find a reputable, local business (Search Engine Watch)
- 37% of all searches are done on mobile (ClickZ)
If you own a business that thrives on doing business locally, you must understand how businesses in local markets are found today.
Sure, a lot of people find local businesses by asking a friend for a recommendation and if you are lucky enough to have made a positive impression on said friend there’s a chance your business will benefit. But, as the stats above reveal, today you must show up strong when people inevitably turn to a search engine – even after a recommendation from a friend – to find local goods and services.
My guest for this week’s episode is one of the world’s foremost local SEO experts and Director of Local Search Strategy for Moz.com, David Mihm.
Questions I ask David:
- What is the difference between local SEO and traditional SEO?
- What changes do you foresee in local SEO in the future?
- How has content marketing affected local search?
What you’ll learn if you give a listen:
- How location changes your search results on Google
- How reviews, even industry specific reviews, are affecting search results
- What is a knowledge card, and why it matters now and in the future
Check out Moz.com’s local search learning center at https://moz.com/learn/local
If this topic seems appealing join me for a live webinar – How to Win With Local Search – Thursday, May 28th – Noon CDT (GMT-5) – Enroll here
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by Hostgator, where you’ll get 24 hour live support via chat, phone or email, 1-click WordPress installs, easy-to-use website builder, design services, marketing services like SEO and PPC, and for my listeners: a 30% Discount. Go to www.Hostgator.com/promo/ducttape